I think the status quo is insufficient - even if it doesn't go in tree, we
should do more than just say "the API exists, ship your own jar"

What's the real risk of having it in tree? We break it because nobody can test
it? How's that any worse than breaking it outside the tree? Finger pointing?

--
Jeff Jirsa