On 3/2/2010 7:54 PM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
Gary Schnabl wrote:
A tutorial I would like to see would be a definitive, detailed guide for employing Writer with master documents for creating books and such. Master documents is a major area where Writer compares unfavorably with Adobe FrameMaker. Having a solid tutorial with master documents, possibly with macros, user source files, and sample templates added would be a nice addition. Such a tutorial would need to employ much of the functions that OOo has.

If any writer or team of writers and editors wants to author/edit such a tutorial, I would volunteer as its lead technical editor.

Gary, I'm glad you've raised this topic again, as it's something I would also like to see us provide, to expand upon and supplement the Master Docs chapter in the Writer Guide (which I am in the process of updating). Unfortunately, I never have any time to actually contribute to the effort, so I hope some others may come forward to work on it.

--Jean

What I had in mind was essentially employing the actual published OOo chapter files (after being reformulated with a revised (book or whatever) chapter template as subdocuments for this master-document (bookmaking) tutorial. That way, the subdocuments would be already available AND be reusable at a later date after they get revised for future OOo versions.

The resulting product would then be the entire (printable book) guide: Getting Started, Writer Guide, Calc Guide, etc. The subdocuments would then be continually available and updated, along with anything new that got added along the way. Then, only a small portion of the tutorial itself would need updating in order to make it also current with future OOo versions afterwards.

The tutorial could actually become a standalone manual for creating "books" with OOo. So, the tutorial would be deemed to serve as an internal representation using both front-end and back-end "programming." The front-end is anything specifically related to the specific subdocuments used for the resulting document, and its back end would deal with the actual physical output:--a PDF to be sent to a commercial printer or, perhaps, an ebook formatted for a Kindle or an iPad.

Anyway, if any writers, reviewers, and editors want to undertake this project, I could serve as the technical-editor glue that keeps the project on course.

Gary
--

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.FreeForums.org>

LinkedIn profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyschnabl>

Elance profile <http://www.elance.com/php/profile/main/eolproviderprofile.php?userid=1892120&catid=100&edit=true&from=myelance>