On 01/24/2013 08:51 PM, Helmut Tessarek wrote:
> On 24.01.13 14:18 , Daniel Gruno wrote:
>> Although you could just click on 'browse modules' again, I'll take your
>> suggestion into consideration :) Perhaps clicking the green tag button
>> should just reset to 'no tags'
>
> Yes, I saw that you can do that. As long as there are only a few tags, I guess
> just clicking on browse again will do.
> Also, in browse you can only select one tag. In search you can select more
> than just one. Just mentioning it, since it is an inconsistency.

Browse is meant to be a view of modules put into categories, whereas a
search can be a more complex way of 'browsing' the site. You could argue
that the two should be alike, but then you could also argue that it
would confuse someone who is looking at one tag, then wants to switch to
another, that he/she first have to remove one tag and add a new, or it'd
display those modules who have both tags, so it's a trade-off between
simplicity and complexity. For me, the browse feature should just be a
fast way to see the most popular modules in each respective category,
not in any way a complex tool for searching, as the search feature does
that just fine.

>> As for the search, you're not just searching the module names, you're
>> also searching the description of the modules. There appears to be a
>> typo in the longer description of mod_authz_dynamic, erroneously
>> claiming its name to be 'mod_authnz_dynamic', which is why it turns up
>> when you search for 'nz' (or 'authnz').
>
> Ok, I was only looking at the result that was displayed and I could not find
> the 'nz' in the name of the module, nor the short description.

That is one thing to consider, indeed; Whether the search term should be
highlighted/shown within each result, so you know what your query hit
inside that particular module. I'll give it some
consideration/experimenting.

>> We can discuss changing what exactly is being searched when a user enter
>> a string, but perhaps such issues of fine tuning the engine is better
>> put to purpose in a separate thread when the site has migrated and is
>> free of any bugs that may be there.
>
> Sure, I've several ideas. :-)

Ideas are always welcome, in fact the entire web site is available in
Subversion for those interested, But as I said earlier, perhaps that's
better suited for another thread (I'll be sure to post such a thread
once we actually start migrating). I believe we can both implement and
improve the new system at the same time, one thing doesn't have to put a
stop to the other.

With regards,
Daniel.