The preferred name is Scottish Gaelic (Gaelic is ambiguous as you say, referring to Scots, Irish and Manx Gaelic).

Special characters would be the vowels with grave Àà Òò Ùù Èè Ìì and the Tironian ampersand. Now technically that's ⁊ at U+204A but practically speaking, people often use ┐ at U+2510 because it's visually usually the same but is more commonly represented in fonts. 204A would be better but I can live with 2510. What do you think?

What sort of customisations for Virtaal are you talking about? I've not used it much so not sure what's possible etc.

Cheers,

Michael

--
*Akerbeltz*