What I meant with "on specific use cases" was "case by case"
So I agree with this approach.

But I don't want to get the same negative feedback with the same arguments
on cases where it's really useful to have protected methods.

Oh! One more thing: we also agree that renderers are not 100% guaranteed to
be backwards compatible on each new release.
Right?

cheers,

--
Cristi Toth