Andrew Robinson said the following On 4/15/2008 1:42 PM PT:
I am agreement with the others that would like to see case by case
JIRA issues to choose to open up renderers since it is considered
taboo (spelling it right this time).
Or, more specifically, that subclassing the current Renderers is unsupported (Trinidad consumers are free to do anything that they want with any of the code as per Apache license) and the reason why it is currently unsupported is that the current implementation's Renderer inheritance hierarchy, delegation model, and protected hooks aren't really designed for anything other than the convenience of the implementors and thus, largely currently exist at the whim of the implementors. As a practical matter, most of these aspects of the Renderer implementation haven't changed in a long time and so subclassing, though unsafe can work but is very much "at your own risk" and even then can be painful.

In cases where we aren't essentially adding new public api (like public skinning hooks) and are requesting that an Renderer be opened up with more protected hooks, the removal of finals, or a mroe fundamental redesign. I would like to see what the guaranteed lifetime for these changes is.

-- Blake Sullivan