On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2013 5:26 PM, "Rob Weir" <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM, OpenBob <bob.r....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Does openOffice run on windows 8.0 also?  I did not find e.g. a
> "systems requirements" and found nothing that identified which windows
> incarnations it will run on.
>>
>> Why are we getting support questions to the dev list via the wiki?
>> This is not good.  Shouldn't they be directed to the users list or the
>> forums?
>
> we get it because I solved a BZ requesting a contact page, where e.g.
> people with login problems could write. I used ml dev as target because we
> dont have other lists where eg login problems will be seen and handled.
>
> Of course some people use it for other purposes, which we (or the
> moderators) have to refer to else where. the contact page cannot check the
> content.

But if the number of people miss-using this contact page far exceeds
those correctly using it then we'll need to reconsider.

This is something that we've had to watch out for from the start of
the project.  With the extremely large number of users we have, even
if 0.01% of them misuse a contact form, it will cause us problem.  So
we need to be very careful.  Having a prominent link that says "Help"
on the wiki is very attractive to a user looking for help, even if it
is totally unrelated to an admin question.

In fact, that's all we've seen so far, right?  People using the form
for support requests rather than for login questions.  And remember,
the one case you had of a login question, he was able to find help
eventually.

-Rob