[orcmid]

This is off-topic for this thread, but it may be helpful in illustrating why
the Board wants to know what the project's considerations are with respect to
retirement and in particular, with regard to avoiding the situation I will now
recount.

The remark about a patch has to do with CVE-2016-1513, with our advisory at
<http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2016-1513.html>.

The vulnerability, and a proof of concept were reported to the project on
2016-10-20 as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 was going out the door.

We had figured out the source-code fix in March.

On June 7, the reporter was concerned about sitting on the disclosure any
longer and gave us a June deadline, proposing to disclose even though we had
not committed to an AOO update.  We were sitting on the fix because we didn't
want to give anyone ideas when they saw it applied to the source code unless
there was a release in the works.

We negotiated a disclosure extension to July 21.  Part of that agreement was
our working to create a hotfix instead of attempting to work up a full
maintenance release (e.g., a 4.1.3).  On July 21 we issued an advisory that
disclosed existence of the vulnerability without offering any repaired
software.

We had the corrected shared library at the time of disclosure, but had not
tested much for possible regressions with it.  Also, instructions needed to be
written.  General Availability of the Hotfix, 4.1.2-patch1, was on August 30,
after more testing, QA of the instructions and the fix, and adding a couple of
localizations.  The QA period did turn up a couple of glitches and improvements
to the instructions and also included scripts to simplify the task for Windows
users.

There are two prospects for this year: a 4.1.3 maintenance release for some
important maintenance-only items and the 4.2.0 feature release.  In either case
it is likely that an update of any kind will be a year since the release of
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2.

If anyone wants to look into the issues of producing releases, I suggest you
confirm the 4.1.2 release by compiling it from the source archive using the
available build instructions and see how well you can replicate the released
binary for the same platform.  Where we fall the most short is having enough
folks who can do this for Windows and MacOSX, covering almost 95% of our user
base [;<).