[orcmid]

I should add that the situation recounted below was not the first time this
happened.

Also, I gave the wrong date for when the CVE-2016-1513 defect was reported to
us.  It was 2015-10-20, not 2016 of course.

Now, if you look at CVE-2015-1774,
<http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2015-1774.html>, you'll see that
the disclosure and related advisory was made on 2015-04-27 (that was Version
1.0).  We did not have a fix, we had only the workaround.  This disclosure
happened because the defect applied in the original openoffice.org code base
and applied to other products that did have a fix.  The remedy, for AOO, was to
remove the offending library and its use from 4.1.2 on 2015-10-28.

Furthermore, 4.1.2 was itself an emergency release because of the imminent
disclosure of the other four CVEs fixed in that release and listed on
<http://www.openoffice.org/security/bulletin.html>.  The peer distributions
actually held up their issuance of security updates and disclosure so that AOO
could catch up with 4.1.2.  If you look at the credits of those four CVEs,
you'll see that the [OfficeSecurity] list members were instrumental in creating
fixes that AOO also used.  Our problem was how much longer it took to produce
the emergency release of 4.1.2 (and also desist from putting in other pent-up
fixes to do so).

That was a nail-biter.  It was clear that the [Officesecurity] folk had lost
patience with AOO as a hold-up of rapid repair of common defects in our
products.  This was also stated very clearly at the AOO PMC.  (The AOO Security
team can do much to analyze reported defects and figure out fixes, but it
cannot do releases.  The PMC has to act on that.)

There was some unhappiness about forcing 4.1.2 out the door.  Some preferred
going straight to 4.2.0 which, with UI and localization changes, would take
longer and have increased regression risk.  That tension persists.

And here we are.

  2015-10-28 4.1.2
  2014-08-21 4.1.1
  2014-04-29 4.1
  2013-10-01 4.0.1
  2013-07-17 4
  2013-01-30 3.4.1 refresh (8 more languages)
  2012-08-21 3.4.1 incubating
  2012-05-08 3.4   incubating