Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, David Dawes wrote:

It looks like the DRM kernel source in xc/extras/drm is broken and
incomplete, especially for BSD platforms.  The Linux version only
appears to build for a narrow range of kernels, and this either
needs to be fixed, or the minimum kernel requirements enforced in
the Makefile.

Perhaps we'll have to roll back to an older version that does build?

How often does the Xserver / DRM binary interface change - is it viable to just use the DRM in the running kernel ?

I suppose this is really a question for one of the DRM lists but,
is it a forlorn hope that the DRM could have a static binary
interface to either the kernel or the X server ?
(I guess that a moving kernel puts the former outside the control
of the DRM project ?)

There's a mixed answer (good news / bad news) to that question. AFAIK, the user-space client-side drivers and the DDX should work with a quite old DRM. That's the good news part. The bad news is that some features and / or bug fixes may not be available. For example, the current R200 driver works just fine with the DRM that ships with 2.4.21 kernel, but a couple security fixes and support for tiled framebuffers is missing.