On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:05:38AM +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 08:14:59PM -0500, David Dawes wrote:

>> >The fear is, if you roll back the DRM, then the drivers may need to be
>> >rolled back as well to support lesser features.
>>
>> Some have said here today that the drivers can adapt to older DRM
>> versions.  That's how it should be, but I don't know if it is true
>> or not.  I've seen some things in my initial testing that may cast
>> some doubt on it, but there were too many other variables to be
>> certain without followup.
>>
>> It would clearly be preferable to have a recent version that works.
>> Is there a known recent stable/working version?  From my point of
>> view the fear is, updating to the latest version, adapting to its
>> structural changes, and finding that the result is no better.
>
>But isn't it better to move forward than backwards ?
>
>If the result is no better, then we need to fix the problems found. Going
>back to an older version, and just because it builds, doesn't guarantee it's
>going to work any better either.
>
>I've got more faith in the current DRM CVS as people are actively working
>on it, rather than using an older snapshot that people could be unwilling
>to go back and fix if a problem was found.

I'd like to see a version that is proven to build, work, and fit in with
our requirements before making any final decision on this.  The snapshot
we currently have imported is clearly not a good one.

Otherwise, going back to the version of the kernel modules that we shipped
with 4.4.0 won't be too difficult, especially if the user-mode side has
the level of backward compatibility that people have claimed.

David