On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 08:14:59PM -0500, David Dawes wrote:

>Some have said here today that the drivers can adapt to older DRM
>versions.  That's how it should be, but I don't know if it is true
>or not.  I've seen some things in my initial testing that may cast
>some doubt on it, but there were too many other variables to be
>certain without followup.

Following up on this, if I start XFree86 with DRI enabled with an i810,
on Red Hat 9 with its stock kernel and DRM module, the server gets killed
by the kernel.  The reason is that it tries to open up to 255 minor
device nodes (vs 16 before), but some versions of the DRM have a hard
limit of 16 and unfortunately don't validate the minor number before
using it to index an array.

David