Hi Guys,

I have been mass compiling and installing multiple versions of XFree86
onto a machine for compatibility testing (Red Hat 7.3 based, so I can use
the GDB hacked up debugger ;-). However whenever I do a 'make install'
from a freshly built 4.2.0, 4.2.1 or 4.3.0 (haven't done any ealier
versions yet ;-), it always blows away something in the startup files so
when I do a 'startx', all I get is a desktop with three console windows
open (seems to be using twm as the window manager). If I copy all the
files from the original Red Hat 7.3 /etc/X11 directory across, it starts
up just fine using the GNOME desktop.

Firstly, I don't know what file is being destroyed or replaced. Does
anyone know what file is getting replaced? Secondly it seems to me that a
'make install' should be non-destructive and should not be changing this
file. I have not changed any of the defaults in the host.def file, so it
seems to me that it is bug that after a make install over the top of an
existing XFree86 install, XFree86 no longer functions the way it did
before.

Is there an option to fix this in the host.def file? If so, perhaps this
should be the default option when doing a make install??

BTW, I am using a script to symlink /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 for each
version so I can switch between all versions with a simple command ;-)

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~