Kendall Bennett wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have been mass compiling and installing multiple versions of XFree86
> onto a machine for compatibility testing (Red Hat 7.3 based, so I can use
> the GDB hacked up debugger ;-). However whenever I do a 'make install'
> from a freshly built 4.2.0, 4.2.1 or 4.3.0 (haven't done any ealier
> versions yet ;-), it always blows away something in the startup files so
> when I do a 'startx', all I get is a desktop with three console windows
> open (seems to be using twm as the window manager). If I copy all the
> files from the original Red Hat 7.3 /etc/X11 directory across, it starts
> up just fine using the GNOME desktop.
>
> Firstly, I don't know what file is being destroyed or replaced. Does
> anyone know what file is getting replaced? Secondly it seems to me that a
> 'make install' should be non-destructive and should not be changing this
> file. I have not changed any of the defaults in the host.def file, so it
> seems to me that it is bug that after a make install over the top of an
> existing XFree86 install, XFree86 no longer functions the way it did
> before.
>
> Is there an option to fix this in the host.def file? If so, perhaps this
> should be the default option when doing a make install??
>
> BTW, I am using a script to symlink /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 for each
> version so I can switch between all versions with a simple command ;-)

Depends somewhat on how RH does X init.  You can look through startx and
xinit setup and see what's being changed.  I know on SuSE that 'make
install' breaks the KDM/xdm startup, and that they use a WINDOWMANAGER
environment variable in their X init pieces.  If you don't have that
variable set, then you'll get either no wm or twm.  But doing a source
install over your distro's install tree is really up to you to resolve.

--
Kevin