The problem:  if an X11 app is very slow to refresh (it is swapped out,
or SIGSTOPped, or is over a very slow link) its windows may remain
"garbage" for a long time, which can be confusing when the garbage
happens to be an image of windowmanager decorations (for example).

The obvious solution, writing the background color into the framebuffer
when a window is un-obscured, is a pessimisation of the normal case
(where the app responds within a few milliseconds).

A more useful solution would be to schedule an event a few dozen
milliseconds (say, 20 or 100 ms) in the future, which upon arrival would
check that the window has been refreshed and, if not, write it with the
background color, on the assumption that if the app hasn't refreshed
yet, it's not going to anytime soon.

Ideally this event would only be handled when the X server is otherwise
idle.

Please CC me on any discussion, as I am not subscribed.

-andy