On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:06:18PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 16:29, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with how those two X servers operate, so could you help
> > me out by explaining?  How do they handle window obscures?  How is it
> > different from X11's BackingStore?
>
> I don't know a lot of details yet, but they indeed always keep the
> contents of windows around and composite the desktop with them
> (actually, they have another windowing system do this, but that's not
> the point).

Seems to me you've got to break X11 semantics in order to do this:  I
suppose they must disable PartiallyObscured events, otherwise the
"hidden" portion of the app windows won't get updated.

> > too often the BS pixmap is too old, and the X server writes it to the
> > framebuffer only to have it overwritten by the app as soon as it's
> > scheduled.
>
> Well, do you want the windows to be refreshed ASAP or not? :) I don't
> think this is a big deal as the windows will be kept in video RAM
> whenever possible.

I want the window contents to be correct, or at least, innocuous.  I
agree that if the backing store is kept in the off-screen framebuffer
the overhead is minimal; I don't think XFree86's BS implementation can
do that.  In general I want the system to work correctly an in a
performant manner even if the number of windows exceeds available
off-screen framebuffer memory.

-andy