On 26 Jun 2002, Edgar Friendly wrote:

> Roman Bednarek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hi.
> >   Recently I was working with the Tomcat Servlet engine, my servlet was
> > generating gifs on the fly. It was able to process about 30-50
> > requests/second on a standard PC ( 500Mhz ). Taking that into account I
> > guess freenet should handle over 100 requests/second, because most
> > requests (when the data is not found) are routed to other hosts. The
> > traffic cannot be that big (I think), so freenet should handle it.
>
> Actually, at the moment requests _are_ that big; between 1 and 2K per
> request.  (probably more on the 2K side) It may be that various nodes'
> transfer limits are reducing their capacity to less than what they
> need to be.

   Maybe such big requests are a serious problem to freenet? I want to add
request size logging to my node. Could you advice me where to put the log
to catch all incoming and outgoing requests?
   I have read in one post that there is a limit of 60 requests per
minute. It is almost 100 times slower than node could handle in my
estimation.

> >   Tomcat uses synchronized IO, so it is not the main problem. I am trying
> > to find where the node spends time processing a request, but for now I
> > could not find anything. Is there anything which can help benchmark
> > different parts of the Node code?
> >
> > Roman
>
> The only thing I tried that would benchmark java made fred run so slow
> that it was unusable.  (btw, you probably mean synchronous, not
> synchronized)

  Yes synchronous, of course.
  I would like to measure the time node spends in processing requests,
time of receiving request, processing it, sending request and sending
data. It could be usefull to know what part of the bandwidth is used for
requests and what for data. Inserting System.currentTimeMillis(), and
logging results, will not slow fred down(with the number of requests
it handles).
  I cannot locate the best place to put the measurement in the complex
freenet architecture. Could you please tell me where should I look for it?

  Roman