On Monday 01 July 2002 20:21, you wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 11:35:34AM +0200, Roman Bednarek wrote:
> <>
>
> >    Maybe such big requests are a serious problem to freenet? I want to
> > add request size logging to my node. Could you advice me where to put the
> > log to catch all incoming and outgoing requests?
>
> I have implemented a fix for this, along the lines that were discussed
> many weeks ago (and optional representation of the NodeReference that
> does not include the identity, which can be read from the session
> layer). However, when I commit this it means a protocol upgrade that
> breaks backwards compatibility (*), so I'm holding back a few hours
> pending objections.
Do it, I don't object.

> >    I have read in one post that there is a limit of 60 requests per
> > minute. It is almost 100 times slower than node could handle in my
> > estimation.
I hope that this is true.  But I am somehat dubious.  It's not sexy to talk
about limitatations but they must be factored into the design of the system
or it won't work.

I have always suspected that the bounding factor limiting how many requests a
node can usefully handle will be the number healthy node refs it can
maintain.  At least for modern systems with cable-modem class connectivity.

> I am also planning to increase GJs hard outgoing limit by 5 times with
> this patch.
Sounds fine with me. 60 was a guesstimate made a long time ago by observing
network conditions.

>I have to say that I agree with Pascal regarding the value
> of this limit - rejecting a request actually increases the total amount
> of work the network has to do compared to serving it (the previous node
> has to go back and route again, sending the request to it's next peer
> with the same HTL as you would have given it.) I don't see how nodes
> could possibly become better citizens by working below capacity.
>
> What nodes need to do to be good citizens, is to monitor the amount of
> requests they generate locally compared to the amount they are able to
> serve - but as was noted the current code doesn't do that all.

Agreed, but how do you figure out "the amount they are able to serve "?

--gj

--
Freesite
(0.4) freenet:SSK@npfV5XQijFkF6sXZvuO0o~kG4wEPAgM/homepage//