Robert Bihlmeyer <robbe at debian.org> writes:

> I'd really like to see a FEC algorithm that uses differently-sized
> checkblocks, and the benefits that this algorithm actually buys us.
> Until then I'm going to believe that this is just an
> overgeneralisation.

I agree with you that it's not needed.

> Sounds good. Please don't deprecate BlockSize, just make it optional
> (IIRC it already is at the moment). Users of Vandermonde/OnionNetworks
> FEC should always insert with this field.

I have no plans to deprecate any fields.

> > I think that having multiple algorithms is going to result in either
> > noone using FEC or clients implementing their own FEC that's only
> > compatible with other copies of that same client.
>
> I don't think so. If the codec is available in source in an accessible
> language (C preferred), under a liberal license, it will be
> incorporated into all maintained clients.

that sounds easier than it actually is.  very few languages' bindings
are easier to use than just writing the code to decode graph style
redundant splitfiles[1]

> > actually, it's worth quite a lot in terms of future growth; as better
> > methods of deciding how to XOR data blocks together to produce check
> > blocks are discovered, they can be used without requiring all client
> > authors to rewrite their code.
>
> That's true. But I'm not envisioning changes in FEC technology as
> frequent as you seem to.
>
> --
> Robbe

I'm doing my own research in the area, and I can assure you there's
plenty of progress to be made.

Thelema

[1] I'd like to coin the term "rsplit" for this, instead of typing out
"redundant splitfile" as often as I do.
--
E-mail: thelema314 at bigfoot.com                        Raabu and Piisu
GPG 1024D/36352AAB fpr:756D F615 B4F3 BFFC 02C7  84B7 D8D7 6ECE 3635 2AAB