In 1993, I worked for a consulting company that sent a proposal to
FEMA for a disaster plan - a lot of the issues that are arising now
would  have been mitigated if that proposal or something like it  had
been implemented. It included having a load of stuff including
generators, portable radio towers, satellite phones, etc stored in
pods around the country that could be transported into the areas by
helicopter, boat, truck, etc and set up very very quickly to have a
communications infrastructure in place to be able to coordinate relief
efforts.

Right now they are talking about reconnecting electricity. I wouldn't
want to be in a flooded area if they turn back on that electricity! To
me, they had better plan on running solar and diesel generators for
quite a while. But where are those? Where are those big army
helicopters that can transport loads of people? Where are the  Navy
ships to run communications? (Or help house ppl)

After Hurricane Ivan destroyed 90% of Grenada last year, the first
things in were soldiers, tents,water, food, generators and backhoes.
Power restoration was not one of the first things on their minds at
all. They got the refugee camps up and running, and then started doing
the clearing and reconstruction.

I think the shock of what happened took too long to get over, and now
the rescue and relief are playing catch up. For the sake of the people
who stayed to "ride out" the storm, lets hope that they manage to get
going very very soon.

Jacqueline