Actually, communications are a huge issue. Reporters have interviewed police officers who are at their wit's end. Almost none of them have satellite phones, and the local mobile phone networks have failed. Some SMS is getting through, but it's sporadic.

I talked with Larry Anderson yesterday, who's in Mississippi, a way's north of where the damage is. He's been using his ham radio to connect with people in the coastal towns. He described the communications as "real grim." Once again, ham radio seems to be the one technology that's reliable...

andy

Taran Rampersad wrote:

From what I'm seeing, there's not much of a problem with communication
in the region. Are there any reports on communication itself? It seems
that everything for communicating with the people in the affected
regions is under control.

Andy Carvin wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've just launched an open blog and mobcast for people interested in
following the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina:

http://katrina05.blogspot.com/

--
Andy Carvin