cyber vans?   WSU got a large grant to put together a bus with 12 computer
stations to take out to the Migrant Workers.  These days the bus is parked and
no one can afford the $500.00 a day to run the bus.   We at RECA always do
things on a shoestring,  we have a 7 laptop, all wireless, with rooter,
portable lab, that  can be loaded into a car and taken to anywhere to conduct
classes.    In the future I would invision that volunteers would just bring
their own laptops - like they do on plains - hook up to a wireless feed - and
wa la they can help anyone they run into. Ronda EvansRECA FoundationRECA
Foundationtcfn.org - connecting people to technology4people.tcfn.org -
connecting people to resourcescalendars.tcfn.org connecting people to
activities--- On Wed 09/14, John Hibbs < [EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:From:
John Hibbs [mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Wed, 14 Sep 2005
15:44:40 -0700Subject: [DDN] Re: What can we do to prepare for a
DISASTER?Remember the discussion about those cyber vans? Wouldn't it be nice if
FEMA would have had about 50 of them? Or even a 100? They could have located in
places where they could be used for disaster (and other) training; but in an
emergency, they would be rounded up and trucked and ready-to-use in a few days
at the disaster site(s).With all that money that is coming forward, one would
think someone on the DD list would have the connections to get an order - for,
say?, 50? They would not be all that hard to build. Not with all the talent
that is available from this wonderful group.At 5:16 PM -0400 9/14/05, Ronda
Evans wrote:>>Hi Deborah,In answer to your question about a trained group
of >volunteers that can help post missing persons during a disaster, I
>think this is exactly what happened. As soon as the people were out >of
New Orleans and in other places they were immediately helped with >all the
volunteers to use technology to find their loves one.
This >was done while waiting for the government to decide what to do.
>The more major concern at this time is keeping track of the >refugees,
where they went, what they need, which is what the new >database by
VisionLink is providing. This on-line database has >taken years to develop
and covers every area of persons life and is >flexible to accommodate the
homeless and the disaster victims. RECA >Foundation and 4People are
beginning to use this for our Homeless in >eastern Washington, and almost
any techie could easily walk around >and get the information needed for this
case management system. The >important thing about the database is that Red
Cross, FEMA!> ,>Salvation Army, United Way and others have all AGREED to
use this >one, so it goes beyond posting, but providing services to the
>victims. My more immediate concern would be to make sure that New
>Orleans has Wi-Fi and computer centers in non-profits, hospitals,
>schools!
 ,
senior centers, DSHS, HUD buildings so that everyone can >learn to use the
Internet to help themselves. My other concern is >that the RED Cross, FEMA
and all involved with disaster preparedness >need to update their Disaster
Preparedness Kits to include >communications equipment. How about a solar
powered battery >recharger, or a hand held recharger. We need to proceed
with making >most computers wireless and showing people how to use these. We
>need to get the legislature and city officials to make deals with >the
ISP's to provide wireless access for FREE during a disaster. >This is a
great example to show non-profits how much they truly need >to use the
Internet. We still have a number of holdouts in our>community even thought
we have been pushing them for over 13 years. >Know that the Tech Community
was there! Ronda EvansRECA >Foundationtcfn.org - connecting people to
technology4people.tcfn.org >- connecting people to
resourcescalendars.tcfn.org connecting people >to activities Re: What can we
do to prepare for a DISASTER?Dear >Colleagues,I just want to mention a
vision that a few of us in the >KatrinaPeopleFinder Project group have been
discussing.What if we >got together with the national CityCares / Hands On
Networkand the >CommunityTechnology Center Network ? What if the HandsOn
Network >recruited volunteers (to be trained by the KatrinaPeopleFinder
>Project) who would be willing to go to local CTCs in theevent of an
>emergency, in order to process data about missing persons,or to help
>distraught loved ones who are searching for evacuees toenter queries
>into the PeopleFinder database?If we had a network of
>previously-trained national or internationalvolunteers - and sites
to>which they could report - in advance ofemergencies - then the folks
>who were in unaffected regions would havean immediate way to help >those
in need.What do you
think?Best regards from DeborahDeborah >Elizabeth FinnBoston, Massachusetts,
PROTECTED]://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/bloghttp://public.xdi.org/=deborah.elizabeth.finn_______________________________________________DIGITALDIVIDE
 >mailing >[EMAIL
PROTECTED]://mailman.edc.org/mailman/listinfo/digitaldivideTo >unsubscribe,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] >with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the body
banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.>Make My Way your home on the Web -
 mailing
list>DIGITALDIVIDE@mailman.edc.org>http://mailman.edc.org/mailman/listinfo/digitaldivide>To
message._______________________________________________DIGITALDIVIDE mailing