John Hibbs wrote:

> At 10:42 AM -0500 9/15/05, Taran Rampersad wrote:
>
> Thank, Taran, for the reminder about the Jamaican effort. I had looked
> at that about four years ago...I see they have made a LOT of progress.
>
> All of what you say - every single word - has merit. Now, how to get
> our hands on some of the $50 billion being appropriated as a result of
> Katrina to put some of the Rampersad Boxes into - well, boxes?
> Shouldn't every Red Cross center of any size have a couple on hand?
> (I'd love to see the Jamaicans be the builders, but that really is far
> fetched..)

If you want a 3.5 foot tall by 2 foot wide by 1 foot deep box, you need
((3.5'*4)+(2'*4)+(1'*4))= 26 feet of PVC, 4 joints (3 side), and some
PVC glue - and a hacksaw and a ruler with a pencil. I'd suggest 2 inch
PVC, though you could use 1.5 inch PVC if you had to. Then you can use
plastic sheeting (plexi) for the external, which you would need an
easily calculated few square feet of. Then you can drill and mount the
pieces with screws, and fill the interior with foam. I'd advise against
standard packaging foam, because that causes an electrostatic discharge
which can ruin electronics. Zap. Pow.

You have a box. Or, you could just use the PVC frame with sheeting on
top, and store the PCs and monitors elsewhere, but the box makes things
rather easy. Like legos. I like legos.

> Can we pursue this to where an offer is put on the Feds table by a
> reputable provider?

Every Red Cross office could build their own boxes. It's easy. It's the
electronics and the container would be the real issue. What would
probably be better is to build a demo and release the plans as Open
Content.

If you have all the materials on hand - the basic boxes, electronics,
and solar stuff as well as the container - an untrained crew could put
something like this together within 3 days. A trained crew could put it
together in one. So I don't know that the Federal Government should get
involved. Why insert bureaucracy?

The beauty of this idea is that with this, a few containers could even
be on standby for shipping to disaster regions. Do monthly checks on
equipment, like ambulances are supposed to have done with each shift,
and a roster of people who rotate (blue crew, gold crew) every month to
man the containers. A 3 person crew, trained, could handle 2 containers
of 12 machines, though you should double up for blue crew/gold crew
rotation at the disaster site. And don't forget, the more people you put
in a disaster area, the more supplies they will need not just for
themselves, but for emergencies.

Ideally, the people crewing this would be EMT trained (not necessarily
certified), because sick people will be around... and also, bad news
comes on the internet and phone. So placement of these during a disaster
should also be near the Aid stations, or integrated into the
Aid/Security stations, and a clear path would have to be maintained from
the Teletainer to the Aid station. We're dealing with people here.
People on the teams should also have a working knowledge of the
equipment, and have top of the line communications skills for training
new people (you're going to grab volunteers on the ground who speak the
local language, as necessary) and so on and so forth.

But now I'm delving into the logistics, and I have some stuff I have to
finish today. I should probably write this all up and release it as open
content ASAP.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Georgetown, Guyana