Hi Jon:

I have tried sound-card packet but now use a TNC. Anyway here are some
tips:
1) There are some nodes in my area that I can connect to but don't get
the any response because they are TCP/IP nodes and don't respond to my
AX25 TNC.
2) Usually I can log into a node and when faced with a blank screen, I
enter "?" and then get back that it is an unrecognized command and
offers me a list of correct commands.
3) The drive level from soundcard to radio can be "critical". Too much
or too little and the node will not "hear" you very well. I found it is
easy enough to get connected to a node but after that can get zero
response with wrong drive levels. Do a google search for "packet
deviation setting" - the articles are out there.
4) Based on some internet articles I was able to set my drive level
properly this year. Actually, "under driving" (under deviation) is
better than "over deviation" (over driving). Over driving also requires
higher transmit powers to compensate for the receiving station not
being able to properly decode your signals.
5) Watch out for ground loops when transmitting. Make sure your
computer case is grounded. I finally grounded my TNC also and cured a
lot of problems (RF feedback, AC induced hum on the signals etc.).
6) I have a Yaesu FT-897 that lets me monitor my "modulation" which is
the same as FM deviation on packet signals. I started with a low
setting and then kept bumping it up (radio has adjustable settings -
but you could do it with soundcard drive level also) until I got a
reliable connection. When set properly I was suprised at the "low
deviation required" and I could also lower my RF power. In previous
years I cranked up the power to 25-50W to get to some outlying stations
but now can do it with 5W in some cases (when deviation is set
properly).
7) As with anything, there is a bit odf a learning curve to packet
(soundcard or TNC)

Go visit this link (tons of info on setup/problems etc.):
http://www.soundcardpacket.info

Hope this helps.
73 de va3rsa, Richard

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM