So you're an entrepreneur, Bonnie? What companies have you founded?
What innovative products have you successfully brought to market, and
what's been their impact?

I designed my first commercial product in 1972 -- Data General's Nova
2 minicomputer, while a junior in college, and went on to design the
Nova 3 and MP200 minicomputers. I also designed the microEclipse, one
of the first commercially successful 16-bit microprocessors. I hold
24 patents in CPU architecture and design, and contributed much of
the early work on multiprocessor cache coherence -- still used in
today's dual and quad-core designs. You'll find me in Tracy
Kidder's "Soul of a New Machine", for which I served as technical
advisor; it won the Pulitzer Prize in 1982.

I moved to Silicon Valley in 1981 to help start Rational Software, a
venture-funded startup where my mentors included the legendary Arthur
Rock and Bill Perry, who founded ESL and later served as Secretary of
Defense. My teams developed Rational Rose, the Unified Modeling
Language, and the Rational Unified Process. Rational's annual
revenues reached $850m before it was acquired by IBM. I then set up
the open source Eclipse Foundation, developing its then-unique
governance model, defining a software development process that
enables fierce competitors to collaborate for the common good, and
lining up initial funding from Intel, SAP, HP, IBM, and Nokia.
Eclipse is now the dominant open source software development
environment, with an ecosystem populated by thousands of innovative
plug-ins.

As for arrows in the back, Bonnie, it's been my experience that most
of the people in this business who resort to wielding a bow have weak
arms and worse aim; their feeble projectiles are easily avoided.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"