Even when flame bait abounds here, let's try to keep the temper.

I see both claims a bit high. Ten percent of an amateur band may look
high, but just one 3 kHz channel as now exists on 40 meters is too
little. I see the claim more as a bargaining start, and some harmonizing
  work by IARU may be already in order.

But the suggested frequencies may be stepping on previous practices and
modes, as has happened on 14109.5. This fact did not have too serious
consequences, as MT63 activity has been low there, but where it affects
PKS31 it may have deeper consequences, because some of the keyboarders
have been self convinced or educated to be furious in their "antirobot"
beliefs.

I have seen decreasing numbers on automatic operations because it is not
easy to keep systems up 24/7, and where Internet is an easy alternative
versus radio, as sadly has been seen with packet radio. And it is pity,
because I felt a deeper sprit de corps existing on packet than on the
Internet lists. Lately, specially during 2007, I have seen a resurgence
of automatic operation as an ALE operations increase.

Rating automatic operations as extremely unpopular with most is
exagerated. It seems to just reflect a extreme point of view of a group
of hams with a certain point of view. Stating that it is probably
illegal still is a biased statement, as it may be still be legal as
well, until PROVEN the contrary.

Lack of listening before transmitting is not a bad feature of automatic
stations only. It also happens with humans stepping on your QSO.

The increased deployment of wireless Internet may be speedy in some
slices of the world, but I would not say it follows the same trend
everywhere around the world. The world is far from uniform, and the same
may be said even within the borders of a given country, so, I don't see
the need of derogatory statements about slower communications. A slow
access is better than no access at all, when there is no high speed
access, the slow access should not be denied. Be it pactor, PSK, packet
store and forward LEO satellites, to name just a few, might be less
fashionable among the elites, but no less useful.

Jose, CO2JA

----

Roger J. Buffington wrote:

> expeditionradio wrote:
>>  The use of the Automatic Sub Bands on HF ham radio for digital data
>>  has been increasing tremendously over the past 5 years. Obviously,
>>  automatic and similar types of operation have become extremely
>>  popular with ham operators.
>>
> .
> What nonsense.  In fact it is a small group of hams that are using robot
> techniques, and if anything the number peaked in the 90s and has been
> decreasing ever since in terms of actual signals on the air. (Admittedly
> some of this decrease may be due to the sunspot cycle minimum).
> Automatic operations are extremely unpopular with most hams, and are far
> out of the mainstream of amateur radio.  Most of the communications are
> probably illegal under US and other countries' regulations due to the
> lack of listening before transmitting, and in many cases the
> communications consists of business over-the-air internet messages which
> are violative of US Part 97 and other country counterparts.
>
> Automatic operation will continue to decrease as wireless internet
> service becomes more common, and Pactor robot operations will become
> less and less desireable as RV Parks, and boat marinas will allow users
> Wi Fi internet access.  Most hotels do this now.  Even Starbucks does
> this now.  Pactor and unattended operation will then gradually fade away
> as a third-rate alternative to direct internet access.
>
> By the way, let's all remember who started this obvious flame-bait thread.
>
> de Roger W6VZV

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu