Dave AA6YQ wrote:

> +++ AA6YQ comments below
> +++ I do not know the date at which 97.101 was originally instituted or last
> modified. Part 97 is available online via

Thanks for the links.

> +++ That's not true, Jose. If an unattended station contains a busy
> frequency detector, then it can respond to an activation signal from a
> remote initiator as long as the busy frequency detector indicates that the
> frequency has not been in use. Additional confidence could be gained by
> designing an unattended station's control software to respond to a
> "universal QRL signal", for example the letters QRL sent twice in 5 wpm CW.

And won't that 5 WPM CW step on the hidden station anyway? Why 5 WPM if
I can copy 20 WPM and more?

20 to 22 WPM is a usual speed for a satellite beacon, for one example.

Well, probably with the new breed of morseless operators already showing
up, any speed of Morse Code will be tagged as QRM.

It is the proverbial snake biting its tail...

It seems that the QRL signal is the only thing new out of this long
inefficient discussion. (A zillion bytes in, three bytes out)
And, taking it to the extreme, it could be tagged as QRM too...

Jose, CO2JA

Participe en Universidad 2008.
11 al 15 de febrero del 2008.
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2008.cu