expeditionradio wrote:

>  Automatic operation is essential to HF emcomm. It is certainly not
>  asking too much that 10% of each ham band be devoted to one of the
>  primary purposes for the existence of the Amateur Radio Service.
>
>  Greg, where is your volunteer force of non-automatic operators
>  providing 24/7 emergency service on HF?

I have participated in numerous emergency communications scenarios,
through several earthquakes and fires.

Never, not once, was automatic operation even involved in passing
emergency traffic. 95% of it was done either on HF SSB or FM repeaters
or simplex for short-range communications.  Mostly the latter.

Where is the 24/7 volunteer force?  Red Cross, RACES, and other
"minuteman" style ham volunteer groups.  Not on Winlink.

Automatic operation is mainly a way for boaters and RVers to use the ham
bands for cheap internet access.  This is not a valid use of our amateur
spectrum and is probably illegal since most of this traffic is
business-related.

de Roger W6VZV