A perspective I have mentioned before focuses on the situation when a
"communications emergency" occurs. This is when normal means of
communications are incapable of handling the traffic load.

This perspective focuses not on whether infrastructure fails but whether it
can sustain a load. There are situations where infrastructure is functional
but overwhelmed, especially cell phones. The Rita evacuation in the Houston
are wiped out cell phone service in the immediate vicinity of the evacuation
routes. Many organizations were caught short when this happened. For
example, United Way and the local Food Bank were scrambling for supplies but
could not coordinate their efforts. They were short because many local
supplies had gone to Louisiana for Katrina.

I also think more use of VHF for covering NVIS distances is possible. A
nearby digi can connect at times to a Winlink Telpac node in Austin. That is
a distance of 130 or more miles. Since local use of NVIS would be to reach
the state EOC in Austin it is a feasible route if dependable. This is using
FM so SSB might work reliably.

Rud Merriam K5RUD
ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
http://TheHamNetwork.net