Rud Merriam wrote:

[Stuff Deleted]
> I also think more use of VHF for covering NVIS distances is possible. A
> nearby digi can connect at times to a Winlink Telpac node in Austin. That is
> a distance of 130 or more miles. Since local use of NVIS would be to reach
> the state EOC in Austin it is a feasible route if dependable. This is using
> FM so SSB might work reliably.
>

> Rud Merriam K5RUD
> ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
> http://TheHamNetwork.net

I certainly here this quite a bit...but lets look at this from a worst case
scenerio as we always should in emergency/disaster communications.

The LOS between two vehicles running 50 watts on 2M is at best 7.5 miles.  If
working through a repeater (provided one is still standing/operational) mobile
to mobile range may be etended to 50-60 miles.

To work more than 60 miles or so, you need linked repeaters...but again this
assumes that repeaters in the affected area are still up and running.  If not,
then 2M LOS mobile to mobile is 7.5 miles.

A properly set up HF station with a proper NVIS antenna can easily work 20-600
miles and 0-20 miles on groundwave if this is a consideration.

Again if you are depending on using repeaters to cover typical NVIS distances,
you MUST assume that these repeaters/relays ARE operational during and after an
emergency/disaster event.

73,

Walt/K5YFW