I dont think that anyone believes that you can completely kill off the Internet
in its entirity; however, certainly certain sections/rather large geographical
areas could loose connectivity for several hours even for perhaps a day.

The question is what do amateur radio operators do during that time?  Would we
really have time to respond before normal Internet service was restored?

If you read the computer/IT magazines written for government agencies, you will
see that the government's network folks ARE concerned about losing parts of
their network and others at the same time being overloaded.

In a free and open society, I don't think telling people to stay off E-Mail to
aunt Sally or browse the web is really going to keep people off the Internet.
They will still want to be downloadind or streaming their favorite movie, etc.

Some have suggested that IPv6 can take care of this by assigning proprity IP
addresses for emergency and disaster services as well as public service
services.  In this way if your IP address wasn't considered "necessary", then
you would not get out/off of you local network.

Walt/K5YFW