--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Walt DuBose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I dont think that anyone believes that you can completely kill off
the Internet
> in its entirity; however, certainly certain sections/rather large
geographical
> areas could loose connectivity for several hours even for perhaps a
day.

Most of the time I just sit and "read the mail".  This time however I
feel I should add some fuel to the digital fire.

I refer specifically to a Pandemic Flu event.  Do not make any
assumptions that there will be electricity, fuel, or for that matter,
food and water.  At any time during an 18 month period, the CDC says
that 30% of all people IN THE WORLD will be unable to work.  In the
US, schools will close, which means that those 2 job families, will
lose income, single family homes will have to stay home to care for
children.  There may be gas, but will there be people to run the
stations, deliver the gas.....  How long can our infrastructure which
is typically maintenance intensive, stay up.  The World Radio
magazine ran an article in the November edition,written by me, which
gives more details.  As a resident of the Gulf Coast of Mississippi,
and experienced Katrina, the generators for cell towers, and our
local repeaters, had locks cut, and the fuel stolen, thus, the ones
that did survive the were made inop.  Some of the nationally
recognized agencies "confiscated" frequencies involving health and
welfare traffic and ops were "ordered" to cease transmitting.

Enough history.  We have to be able to transmit rapidly, efficiently,
and with confidence that the messages will be received, and
delivered.  Without electricity, or fuel, we have to think non fosil
means of battery recharging (solar/wind/hand or foot crank
generators).  We also have to figure out how the message traffic will
be delivered (bicycle, walking) while limiting exposure to other
people.

Enough bandwidth.  Just a reminder, don't limit your preparation,
response and recovery to just physical catastrophies.

Don Rand
KA5DON