Hello Vojtech,

> One installed a http proxy on his computer, which initiated
> ax.25 connection to a server, queried for a page, the other
> side compressed it with gzip, sent over ax.25 channel, the
> http proxy decompressed and fed to the browser ...

Interesting. I did a similar thing back in November of 2000.

   http://www.langelaar.net/projects/klmproxy/

I wrote it for Windows (sat in the systray), used FlexNet API
to do the RF communications part. It was a TCP/IP proxy that
could be used for telnet (web browsing too), ftp, pop, etc.

I originally wrote it because FlexNet had no Windows network
interface at the time, but then the new FlexNet came out that
included a windows driver for networking, and I *abandoned* the
project. Every so often, I think I should work on it again.

> It worked remarkably well for text only pages ...

Yes it did (does). IMHO - Not a bad way of doing it.

> From my experience, routing IP over any other slow connected
> low quality link does not work well. The overhead [snip] ...

Noted. Thank you.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM