Jose A. Amador wrote:
> Based on what I know, for SMTP, JNOS may be an option at less than 300
> baud, i.e., 100-110 baud or PAX, using MultiPSK as "soundcard modem".
>
> I have not tested any of it yet. I have had no time and possibilities to
> test it so far.
>
> JNOS can use FBB compression or LZW compressed SMTP on any of its radio
> ports using KISS protocol to connect to a TNC.
>
> I ran both FBB and JNOS simultaneously for several years sharing the
> same TNC under MSDOS and Linux, and HF mail using compressed FBB
> protocol or LZW compressed SMTP worked, even when painfully slow, at 300
> baud on a shared forwarding frequency. Even FTP worked (I do not
> remember if it could be compressed as well) on HF.
>
> It is not theoretical. JNOS networking works on HF with the known 300
> baud weaknesses. How well does it work really matters when nothing else
> is available? Certainly, that may be an option in an unconnected scenario.

Yes, I understand "it works". FBB works OK on HF because once you are
logged in, it's not that interactive. But you still have 2-3 turnarounds
before you send the initial message, etc.

Buried inside the P3 WL2K pactor transfers is a basic F6FBB chat &
login. Typically 5-10 seconds to link, get logged in, and sync prior to
really transferring the messages.  Again, it works, lot's of messaging
sent this way. But a bit wasteful. Why are you logging in when the
system already knows who is sending it via your callsign? And you just
sent the password in the clear on hf, so why bother? Login's are
wasteful on HF. Lot's of analysis & discussion in this area as well.
Real answer is a public/private key system. Anything else is wasted time
& bandwidth. Adds no security, and reduces reliability.

SMTP over HF is much less efficient & reliable because it has many, many
turnarounds. It's designed for a lan with infinite signal to noise
ratio. :-) short packets, many turnarounds. With more overhead in the
TCP/IP header than in the data sent.

So in the commercial & military systems, you see TCP/IP spoofing. Eat,
then recreate the IP headers on the opposite end. Same for SMTP. (just
like the trailblazer modems did with UUCP in the old unix days)

So how do you deal with this using the tools you have? With BBSLink we
use an FBB command structure, but compress the initiation of sending the
message into a single file transfer. IE: the command, user ID, etc is
prepended to the message and processed by bbslink. So no login chat over
the air, retries, etc.

With HF, you only get so many seconds of decent S/N at times. You don't
want to waste half of your window getting logged in using a system
oriented for interactive users.

If the message is short enough, it's a single send, then ack back from
the receiving system. Longer messages do have an ack before the next
frame is sent, etc. DBM is not perfect, but works, and is a true WW
standard. (for as much as that means... F6FBB is also a defacto standard
but there are very many implementation differences in login specifics,
etc when talking to them programatically.) We'd like to see other
protocols like FAE, etc leveragable as well.

So could you make JNOS/MSYS work over HF with a kiss modem? Most likely.
Is that the best way? I think we can do better if we apply ourselves &
work together. JNOS is certainly a useful tool in the mix. I know of
unix systems still using JNOS as transport. :-) If we scratched deep
enough we'd find some in use on corporate routers.

Have fun!

Alan
km4ba