Based on what I know, for SMTP, JNOS may be an option at less than 300
baud, i.e., 100-110 baud or PAX, using MultiPSK as "soundcard modem".

I have not tested any of it yet. I have had no time and possibilities to
test it so far.

JNOS can use FBB compression or LZW compressed SMTP on any of its radio
ports using KISS protocol to connect to a TNC.

I ran both FBB and JNOS simultaneously for several years sharing the
same TNC under MSDOS and Linux, and HF mail using compressed FBB
protocol or LZW compressed SMTP worked, even when painfully slow, at 300
baud on a shared forwarding frequency. Even FTP worked (I do not
remember if it could be compressed as well) on HF.

It is not theoretical. JNOS networking works on HF with the known 300
baud weaknesses. How well does it work really matters when nothing else
is available? Certainly, that may be an option in an unconnected scenario.

I have also read some papers (which are not recent ones) mentioning the
possibility of using JNOS for armed forces communications.

I believe it should be tried out. Configuring JNOS is not easy, it is
command line oriented and learning its options is a steep process not
suited for the faint of heart, because along its history, it has been
developed and maintained by people familiar with Unix, networking and
text mode consoles in a spartan command line environment.

Working options may be saved in a configuration file that it reads at
the start up.

One almost miraculous option it has is the maxwait parameter. It limits
the usual TCPIP exponential backoff to a value of your choice (not
arbitrary, it basically depends on the signalling speed and channel
reliability or congestion), indispensable when running TCPIP on a radio
link and not on a high speed, less noisy, wired environment.

Other TCPIP implementations fail without this "kludge", particularly, on
HF radio. Even Linux with its native TCPIP stack is subject to fail as
well. JNOS packet stack is better crafted than the Linux AX.25 support.

Alan is right, maybe a kludge between an AX.25 stack and other modes
could be devised, but it is not simple.

If other sound card modes work at the same speed, why wouldn't PAX or
slow packet work? APRS has been tested so far with slower than 300 baud
speeds and has worked, even with the nowadays prevalent bad HF propagation.

Frugality in message content is *INDISPENSABLE*. Compression is your
friend. In a bandwidth limited radio channel, concise, short, text
messages are preferable to more voluminous file formats (.doc, .xls,
.bmp, etc). If that is not acceptable, then, who needs that should
procure a wideband VSAT link.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

---

John Bradley wrote:

> What would be our non VHF options?
>
> John
> VE5MU

VI Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y
Educación Energética
9 - 12 de Junio 2009, Palacio de las Convenciones
...Por una cultura energética sustentable
www.ciercuba.com