You are right in that the likely solution would be SCS and Pactor3.

The only other thing that we have tried is RFSM8000, developed by Dimitri ,
which has a email gateway built into it, is ARQ and runs on soundcard

Nobody in the US is using this on the ham bands at least since it does not
conform to FCC rules as far as speed etc. I don't know if he is still
actively developing the software but what we had worked well but required a
pretty strong signal to work, since the bandwidth is about 3Khz I am sending
a copy of this to Dimitri  to see if he is around still.

I make no apologies for dissing 1 line messages... sure I use SMS myself
regularly for quick questions among family members and friends, but to
pretend that this is a meaningful solution for emergency comms is just plain
crazy. It's fun to use but not much beyond that. If I were sending this
message from an area in Canada out of range of any internet access short of
Sat phone, I couldn't get past the first line.

I don't know about the USA, but a number of emergency agencies in other
countries are revisiting HF backup systems for point to point data, since
recent infrastructure failures have proven that our everyday systems are
very vulnerable.  Those involved with health and bioterrorism are
particularly interested.. a number of health agencies and Canada's version
of the Center for Disease Control have HF abilities already.  In fact CDC in
Atlanta has HF

ALE has a place in all this to establish links and determine the most
useable frequencies, But software like 141A or ALE400 are far more useful
for passing data than the one-liners in PCALE. Now if it had a better
interface to the internet other than a "copy and paste" routine, so much the
better.

I get very frustrated with those who still regard ARES contribution to
emergency comms as tactical voice on VHF or HF. We have that role.am
currently writing an exercise which would use hams as back-up in ambulances
and EMS dispatch over a wide area of rural hospitals and small town EMS
units. I also am frustrated since slowly but surely we are being forced into
Pactor 3 as the only viable and expensive option for what we need .

John

VE5MU

Change
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcGl1MHZrBF9TAz
k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzExODMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bm
dzBHN0aW1lAzEyMzM0NTQ5MTg->  settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:digitalradio-dig...@yahoogroups.com?subject=email%20delivery:%20Dige
st>  delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:digitalradio-traditio...@yahoogroups.com?subject=change%20delivery%2
0Format:%20Traditional>  format to Traditional
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio;_ylc=X3oDMTJkc2szZmJjBF9TAzk3MzU
5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzExODMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGl
tZQMxMjMzNDU0OTE4>  Your Group | Yahoo! Groups
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
<mailto:digitalradio-unsubscr...@yahoogroups.com?subject=>

Recent Activity

.          7

New
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmODQyaDVkBF9
TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzExODMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3Z
tYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyMzM0NTQ5MTg->  Members

.          1

New
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJnYjRpZm0xBF9TA
zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzExODMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3Zma
WxlcwRzdGltZQMxMjMzNDU0OTE4>  Files

Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNTEzbjFxBF9TAzk3MzU
5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NzExODMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA4BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3R
pbWUDMTIzMzQ1NDkxOA-->  Your Group

Drive Traffic

Sponsored
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oqb6f0b/M=493064.12016255.12445662.8674578/D=
groups/S=1705063108:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1233462119/L=/B=1K2CNEPDhFQ-/J=1233454919
349769/A=4025338/R=0/SIG=12jnci1fd/*http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44092/*http:/s
earchmarketing.yahoo.com/srch/index.php>  Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Yahoo! Groups

Join
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13on793t9/M=493064.12662708.12980600.8674578/D=
groups/S=1705063108:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1233462119/L=/B=1a2CNEPDhFQ-/J=1233454919
349769/A=5349276/R=0/SIG=11nhsqmjq/*http:/advision.webevents.yahoo.com/Every
dayWellness/>  people over 40

who are finding ways

to stay in shape.

Y! Groups blog

The
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ou8g634/M=493064.12016258.12582637.8674578/D=
groups/S=1705063108:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1233462119/L=/B=1q2CNEPDhFQ-/J=1233454919
349769/A=5191953/R=0/SIG=112mhte3e/*http:/www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/>  place
to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1871183/grpspId=1705063108/msgId
=29840/stime=1233454918/nc1=4025338/nc2=5349276/nc3=5191953>