> What do you think such a mode would be used for, Bill?

The latest brainstorming is a community mesh network.     Put a little
box in the attic with Ethernet on one side and an antenna on the
other.    Build a whole VPN with video, vip, whatever..   Given the
bits the options are endless.   If the price is reasonable many hams
in any neighborhood would participate.

> I have increasing doubts about what hams really want with new modes or
> capabilities. It does not seem to be improved speeds or accuracy based
> on what they actually use, compared to what is actually available right now.

There's some impressive activity on the SDR front.  Given more RF bits
we'd see a lot of the old guard come back to play..   The current
1200/9600/56000 was getting long in the tooth in the mid 90's.   It's
time to breakloose

> There has to be some purpose for having a higher speeds. Also, there
> seems to be no exceptions where a higher speed leads to greatly improved
> robustness. Even the fastest modes that can adjust for conditions,
> generally revert to a minimal number of tones, with a good example
> being Pactor 3.
>
> How far can you expect an ultra wide bandwidth mode to propagate?

Ultrawide ?   Ultra wide is megahertz...   100's of kilohertz is
barely getting beyond 90's..   In the real world anyway.

We
> already have relatively high speed modes that don't even require a ham
> license.

Yup and getting better by the week..

>You are not going to be able to run 192 kHz modes on 2 meters
> and lower without some kind of STA here in the U.S.

Or permanent change to the archaic rules we operate under now.  Given
the readily available technology - the changes will happen.

The only interest
> might be FSTV.

Or lets throw some QAM256 on it and do real video...   I turned on my
Comcast digital cable yesterday and the change is way impressive.

 I have done some experimenting on 2.4 GHz with WiFi type
> image transmissions from a portable set up to a laptop computer, but it
> is not very compelling.

Range is way too short unless heroic measures are taken..

This is, believe it or not, the best time for ham radio.  Technologies
and the hardware to use it have never been better.

> Rick, KV9U

Bill