----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick W" <mrf...@frontiernet.net>

> Bottom line question is what is really practical and adds to our
> capabilities that will be used? Nothing wrong with idealism, but
> practical matters often trump everything else. What will I be able to do
> with a high speed network that I can not do now? And why will this
> appeal to other hams?

I was thinking this myself just the other day. It's now very cheap to set up
a WiFi internet link over 10km to 20km using off the shelf dish-based
systems so any Ham solution would be a lot more expensive and IMO less
reliable.

http://www.brack.ch/tabid/294/Default.aspx?ID=104070

Children can set this up, with a small (illegal) pre-amp / poweramp for ~$50
this is a very reliable solution.

Simon Brown, HB9DRV
www.ham-radio-deluxe.com