Hi Bill,

Do you have some thoughts on how an amateur mesh network would be better
than non-ham? Maybe less congestion? But in some areas, no one near
enough to connect to?

Over the years, I have had one of my students who took one of my ham
classes and expressed an interest in some kind of community network. He
lives on a farm like I do, so we are not that close to other hams (5  -
10 miles is about the closest), assuming that the nearest hams would
even consider mesh networking. I am skeptical that enough hams would
have this interest though I probably would try it if we could get some
interest. Is there any readily available software at this time?

SDR is growing well and it seems to primarily be oriented toward HF rigs
at this point (Flex Radio and other architectures of competing
products). I don't see any possible interest in higher speed links from
the hams I have spoken with, but maybe your area has enough for a
"critical mass" of interest? With internet access (wired or wireless) of
1 Mbps, some more and some less, it would be impossible to compete with
that anymore with anything we could possibly set up on the ham bands.

As I mentioned earlier, there has to be a reason for adopting new
technology. While you may have the bleeding edge folks doing it ... just
to do it ... that won't provide enough for that critical mass. I base
this on over 40 years since I first started hamming and SWLing,
experimenting, etc. We have had an amazing number of changes, but I have
found exceedingly few hams like myself. In fact, a peer of mine and I
were just discussing this in the last few days. The new hams are not
necessarily technologically oriented. They just want something that is
primarily plug and play and just works. In most cases that means a 2
meter FM rig.

Ultrawide modes would be anything that exceeds current rules or takes up
a large percentage of a band. Normally, the widest modes tend to be a
communications quality phone bandwidth. Some modes can exceed that with
higher speed, such as 9k6 or faster packet. Whether the rules are
antiquated or not, that is what we must follow unless some one petitions
for change or as I mentioned, gets an STA from the FCC if you live in
the U.S. Few hams would ever support wider modes on 2 meters and below
than we already have. The rules seem about right as they are in terms of
bandwidth.

My big beef is that we are limited on the type of data we can transmit,
depending upon the part of the band we are operating. That is simply
nuts now that we can transmit phone and image digitally and yet can not
transmit data/RTTY but I am in the extreme minority on that one it seems:(

The widest modes have been FSTV, but few hams do that so it is tolerable
to allow multi MHz bandwidths for a local frequency. I have not seen any
ham modes much wider than that. And you can not use such modes below the
440 band. Going to higher bands is possible, but as you note, the
propagation distance becomes a major impediment. As we all know, who
have used WiFi and WiMax systems over multi-mile distances, everything
has to be mostly line of sight.

Bottom line question is what is really practical and adds to our
capabilities that will be used? Nothing wrong with idealism, but
practical matters often trump everything else. What will I be able to do
with a high speed network that I can not do now? And why will this
appeal to other hams?

It seems to me that what we really need are not wide modes, but
adaptable modes that change automatically for the constantly changing
conditions on HF. VHF and up could run faster modes all the time since
the propagation is more stable.

You mention QAM 64. Surely you are aware that this has been available as
a sound card mode for several years with a relatively easy to use
program that handles QAM 4, QAM 16, and QAM 64 and can send and receive
error free files from one to many and has after the fact ARQ?