On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 03:53, Sumana Harihareswara <s...@changeset.nyc> wrote:
> On Discourse I've seen
> https://discuss.python.org/t/disappointed-and-overwhelmed-by-discourse/982
> and https://discuss.python.org/t/e-mail-settings-are-not-respected/396
> talking about problems people have had keeping up with/watching and
> participating in conversations on Discourse -- including Paul Moore and
> Paul Ganssle, whose opinions I really want to hear from here. I believe
> I've heard Dan Ryan say that he finds Discourse practically unusable,
> and I'd like to hear from him as well.

My view on Discourse is not entirely relevant here, as I will (of
necessity) use the forum where the discussions are happening. So as
long as Discourse is where the majority of discussion occurs, I'll
follow it (regardless of my personal views of the platform). I don't
think anyone is suggesting shutting down Discourse and forcing traffic
back to distutils-sig, so my only real view here is "one less place to
monitor". But distutils-sig is quiet enough these days that this isn't
a huge benefit.

The real questions for me are:

1. Will dropping distutils-sig mean that people who prefer interacting
here lose their voice in packaging discussions?
2. Will having one fewer "recommended place" to start discussions make
it easier for new participants to get involved?

I don't have any insights into either of these questions, though.

Paul