On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 at 23:03, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 8:41 AM Wes Turner <wes.tur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I confess that I don't even know how to subscribe to all threads of a
>> discourse.
>>
>> - [ ] How to subscribe to all threads of discourse
>
> Go to the category you care about, e.g.
> https://discuss.python.org/c/packaging/14, and if you look in the right side
> next to "+ New Topic" you will see a bell. you can click that and choose to
> what level you want to follow new topics (only new threads, notification of
> all comments, direct notification of all comments, etc.).

What I haven't quite got my head around is: what exactly is the
"workflow" with discourse if you are a regular follower/contributor on
some forum?

Do people who use it a lot begin by going to the forum website?

Do they get the email notifications and interact via those?

I've been working with discourse in the latter mode and from that
perspective it seems inferior. If the expectation is that I have to
begin by going to the website then that changes my fundamental
approach. Right now I subscribe to many mailing lists and they all
route to an IMAP folder. When I feel like browsing them I can go in
and skim messages from a wide variety of mailing lists.

The other process seems to be that I begin by choosing to go to the
discourse forum website in order to look at messages in a particular
forum that I actively choose to look at at that particular time. If
that's the case then I would inevitably end up following fewer mailing
lists/forums since each one requires a momentary active decision from
me to read that particular list. I can imagine that that might reduce
the wider participation that is a big part of the purpose of these
lists. Maybe other people would be more likely to follow things that
way but I certainly wouldn't.

Oscar