I think it's natural that people on the mailing list will favour the
mailing list over Discourse, just as when asked this question on Discourse
voted for the forum over the mailing list.  Taking a more practical look at
the issue, I want to note that 99% of the discussion about packaging and
its future/peps has happened on the Discourse forum for the last 6 months.
The amount of chatter on this mailing list is almost zero, so having the
mailing list can be confusing to new users, as it might give the wrongful
impression that this is the platform to discuss things, while in practice
it's the Discourse. This is why we were thinking to remove the mailing
list, because active development and design discussion moved off from it.

Bernat