Sometimes, when a topic comes up over and over, it means something is
wrong.  Maybe not the original decision; it could be the documentation,
or the perception of the user base, or whatever.  I understand the need
to not revisit old decision ad nauseum, but Carl has an interesting
point: whoever put that "don't share it" comment in the original
settings.py file put in on a single setting, not the entire file.  This
hints at a distinction in the author's mind.  Maybe our understanding of
settings has moved on since then, or maybe we need to honor that
distinction in some way.

And some settings are important for the functioning of the application
(for example, the list of middleware).  Changes made there have to be
propagated somehow to all deployments.  In the real world, a single
non-shared settings file simply doesn't work well.

Here's a modest proposal: at the top of the generated settings file,
include this comment along these lines:

# This file contains settings which should be kept secret.
# For ideas on how to manage complex settings files,
# see: http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SplitSettings

--Ned.