Honestly, I'm surprised this is such a big deal. The expectation (as I
understand it), is that Django projects are made up of applications.
If anything's assumed to be distributed, it's an application, not a
project. Sure, there are some exceptions for huge projects (like
Satchmo), but that's exactly the point: those are exceptions, not the
rule.

As Malcolm said, this is Python we're talking about. It's dead simple
to split your settings file any way you like, if you find the need.
But there's little evidence that it's a common enough need to make it
the default. That just makes things harder for everybody else, the
people who don't distribute their settings file.

And yes, the fact that it keeps coming up does mean something. It
means there's more than one exception who doesn't think they're an
exception. That's really all it means. There are still countless more
people who are using Django without finding need for this feature.

If you want it included, find a different angle. For instance, Ned
points out an issue that faces everyone moving to production. A single
settings file means that middleware, context processors, installed
apps, media settings and countless others will likely be the same in
production as in development, and it can be annoying to make sure the
two settings files are in sync in that regard.

Mind you, I don't think that's a big enough problem to merit a global
change, but at least it's certainly an issue facing a greater number
of developers.

-Gul