Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 23:02 -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
> [...]
>> Support for the local_settings file is there, I just think it should be
>> changed
>> from an "If it exists" to assuming it exists, and seed it with the values
>> that
>> have been singled out as "secret."
>
> This is one of those cases where searching the archives will reveal that
> we've already had this conversation a few times previously. Each time
> the decision has been that the current very simple, single file setup
> isn't going to change because it doesn't need a change.

Except it isn't a simple, single file setup - it has #comments and references
other files.

> That is your
> settings file. Don't distribute it. There's one file you shouldn't
> distribute.

It has things that need to be both version controlled in any environment, and
distributed for Open Source code.

> If you want something more complicated for your own setups, you are free
> to do so. That's the other thing we've repeated over and over: it's a
> Python file, so feel free to use the full power of the language as you
> wish.

all of django is python, so if we follow this logic, no more work needs to be
done.

> Because of those two results -- it's hardly a snap decision and you have
> full flexibility for doing whatever you want -- this really isn't a
> decision we need to revisit. Let's move on.

Then submit a bug report to have the "and don't share it with anybody." and
"attempt to load a file called local_settings.py" removed.

Carl K