> Personally I wonder if this is due to a conception that the *project*
> is somehow the deliverable;

I think James touches here on one of the key factors in this
whole issue.  If I have a project that I'm making publicly
available, there are many project related settings that need to
be configured merely to get the project to work such as
middleware, auth backends, template loaders, and installed apps.
  Similarly, in one my projects, I have dependency-tracking code
that dynamically builds the installed_apps setting based on which
components are chosen from a list.  Since all of these things
need to be specified in some form of public/sharable settings
file for the project to work, people want to be able to pull
these aside and share them.  Then there are the other settings
which are site/install-specific and people don't want to share them.

As Marty acknowledges, publishing projects (not just apps) is not
just a freak-one-off sort of thing, but is happening with greater
and greater regularity.  Much to James's disdain towards focus on
projects vs. apps....sorry James :)

It's not *hard* to separate out "private" configuration settings
from "public" configuration settings.  However, it's becoming
increasingly common to use Django for sharable-projects rather
than just sharable-apps and there's a fairly bright line between
"public stuff that's required to get this project working" and
"private stuff that pertains to my given configuration".
Obstinately refusing to help the user do the right thing throws
up needless impediments.  Django pushes the developer to
do-the-right-thing in so many *other* areas, that this should be
facilitated, even if just via a comment in the settings.py
directing the user to best-practices (as mentioned by Ned, I
believe).

-tim