On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 08:04 -0400, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> Sometimes, when a topic comes up over and over, it means something is
> wrong.  Maybe not the original decision; it could be the
> documentation, or the perception of the user base, or whatever.

*sigh* I knew somebody was going to bring this up and I considered
whether to head it off pre-emptively or just hope it would slide by.

Yes, you're right in some sense. But so am I. We can't document every
single standard practice in using computers for production purposes.
There has to be a limit so that actual useful information that is unique
to Django is readily available without having to wade through reams of
stuff that should already be obvious. Don't release sensitive
information should be obvious.

At times it gets very tiring constantly adding things so that Django
becomes "for beginners with deadlines" at the expense of everything
else. Sharing sensitive information, or publishing a configuration file
for any project at all without first reading it to check for sensitive
information both strike me as absolute beginner mistakes.

> I understand the need to not revisit old decision ad nauseum, but Carl
> has an interesting point: whoever put that "don't share it" comment in
> the original settings.py file put in on a single setting, not the
> entire file.  This hints at a distinction in the author's mind.  Maybe
> our understanding of settings has moved on since then, or maybe we
> need to honor that distinction in some way.
>
> And some settings are important for the functioning of the application
> (for example, the list of middleware).  Changes made there have to be
> propagated somehow to all deployments.  In the real world, a single
> non-shared settings file simply doesn't work well.

You mean "sometimes in some real world situations". It works quite well
in a lot of other situations (every situation is "real world", so let's
drop that term). Let's avoid swinging the pendulum too far with
over-generalisations in either direction. If you have shared setups and
non-shared settings then, by all means split things.

> Here's a modest proposal: at the top of the generated settings file,
> include this comment along these lines:

Putting a reference to a wiki page in the official docs isn't something
I would do. It's to transient and unreviewed.

Maybe you'll find somebody who is able to view this more balanced than I
am who is willing to make the change. Right now, it keeps coming up and
the same sensible arguments keep suggesting to me that there's no
solutin that will help everybody and I'd really prefer people to have to
think a bit about these things than spoon-feeding them: you provide too
much step-by-step guidance and people forget to think and question.
Also, bear in mind that if 10 people bring something up, that doesn't
mean it's frequent. It means that less than 1 in 600 people subscribed
to this list had an problem with it.

Malcolm

--
Everything is _not_ based on faith... take my word for it.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/