Hi!

Lukas wrote:

> There are just some features missing:
>
> First, my recording was cutted in 650MB Parts, so i had 7 different parts to
> open, save index, look for ads, cut and export them. Result was still 7
> parts, now without ads, but very much breakes (because of cutting and
> file-breakup). Most time took me to select the directorys and filenames. So
> it would be very nice, to select multible files or at least to add files at
> the end of the currend opened movie and the possibility to put them all
> together when the movie gets exported. Maybe a new splitting would be nice,
> too.

You can already do that with the latest version (from [EMAIL PROTECTED]),
both from the command line and from the GUI (just select multiple files
and hit Ok).

> Second one is a preview of the cutted movie, just to see what the result
> will look like. A preview 5 seconds before till 5 seconds after the cut would
> be enough i think (maybe in a small popup-window?).

That would be nice, but it's a little hard to implement. The actual cut
(and the re-coding of the adjacent GOPs) isn't performed until the file
is exported; mplayer only displays a sequence from the *source* file.

> Third thing is a little tricky: Because i wanded to cut out ads, i was
> searching for the equal pictures before and after the ads. The view of
> diff-frames isnt very useful to do that, because you do only have one movie
> window. Its quiet much work and nearly not possible to get a _real_ good
> cutting that way.
> Would it be possible to automate that?

You mean, when the sequences overlap? I find that incredibly easy - mark
an I frame after the ad (because that avoids recoding), go back and find
the identical scene before the ad, *then* switch to difference mode and
find the matching frame. If you use the mouse wheel and shift/ctrl/alt
keys for navigation, that's a piece of cake.

> You could save last "stop"-frame and search for the next most equal one from
> that position on. Maybe it would be enough to compare just a few pixels in
> each I-frame till they are nearly equal to the saved one and compare more
> pixels to find the most equal picture in the following I-/B-/P-frames then.

That would be a huge computing effort, in particular since you have to
decode lots of pictures. But maybe we could calculate a "fingerprint"
while the index is calculated, and then compare the fingerprints later
(like libpuzzle does). I'll have to investigate that further.

> You could also search for blank ac3-multichannel-audio to detect begin and/or
> end of ads automatically (to minimize the time for searching).

That would be an option. Currently, we only take changes of the aspect
ration into account (if there are any). If you have a recent version,
just hit the "m" key or choose "suggest markers" from the edit menu.

> Oh, one Question: What is the difference of the four selectable output
> formats?

TS format is a transport stream (the kind you receive from DVB as well).
DVD is an MPEG2 program stream (PS) with 2K blocks, like the one on a
DVD, plus dummy navigation sectors for dvdauthor. Generic program
streams don't have nav sectors and use arbitrary block sizes (up to
~64K) and are more suitable for storing movies on disk. And finally,
there are two different multiplexers involved: the internal one and the
one from ffmpeg.

By the way: newer versions of dvbcut also allow you to pipe the movie
data directly into a postprocessor, e.g. dvdauthor.

--
Michael "Tired" Riepe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>