Hi,

Michael Riepe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Francesco Fumanti wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> In revision 142, the possibility to use the left and right arrow key of
>> the keyboard instead of the scroll wheel of the mouse was added to dvbcut.
>>

>> However, it seems to me that they don't always work:
>>
>> - The arrow keys stop working when I click on one of the start or stop
>> images in the left pane.
>
> Yes, because the list has the focus.
>
>> - The arrow keys also stop working when I enter an image number into one
>> of the fields and hit the Go button.
>
> Yes, because the text box has the focus.
>
>> Is there a way, that I don't know about, to reset the focus on the main
>> movie window? (Supposing this is the problem.)
>
> I have absolutely no idea. Maybe a Qt expert can comment on that.
>
>> Should the main movie window not always react to the arrow keys,
>> regardless of the focus?
>
> No. People expect to be able to use the cursor keys for navigation, i.e.
> inside menus, lists and other input boxes.

Why not use other keys? For example
b for backward
f for forward
and make the keys configurable in the settings file; in other words keys
that don't have a system assignment and that could be used regardless of
the focus!?

Moreover, if somebody decides to enhance the key bindings part and to
make the keys configurable in the settings file, I would suggest to not
only define the two keys for backward and forward; but it would probably
be simpler for the user to also have keys without modifier to replace
the scrollwheel+modifier.

> The obvious fix is, however, to press <Tab> until the focus is on the
> linslider - or on a widget that does not consume keyboard events.

When I suspected it to be a focus problem, I tried without success to
click on the main movie pane to give it back the focus (which is
probably what most will try); I tried without success to move the
sliders to give it back the focus; but I did not think to use the tab
key to set the focus to the linear slider...

Thanks for telling me the solution.

Cheers

Francesco