Al,

The issue isn't "nostalgia" - it's technique and timing. Paddles cover a
multitude of sins: as long as you're hitting the paddles somewere close to
the right point you'll get nice even CW. With a straight key any technique or
timing issues are immediately obvious.

The "old timer" WWII radio ops that I've known (in particular my dad) always
stressed mastering the straight key before ever trying to use paddles. And if
you've heard those OTs on the air, a large percentage of them illustrate the
wisdom of learning (and mastering) the straight key first.

73, Al